The Federation of City Farms and Community Gardens (FCFCG) is a UK-wide charity representing city farms, community gardens, a network of school farms, some community-led allotment groups, and community groups involved in projects in parks. In total, we represent 65 city farms, more than 1000 community gardens, 75 school farms and around 20 allotment groups. In addition, we have records of some 200 potential farm or garden projects.
Between them, our member projects employ 550 staff and engage and empower thousands of volunteers, with two thirds of projects run entirely by volunteers. Projects attract over three million visitors and regular users each year and have a combined turnover of around £6 million.
The Federation of City Farms and Community
• advice and information packs on developing community gardens and city farms
• animal welfare, health and safety, and child protection guidelines
• model documentation for establishing a new group or charity
• case studies on good practice
• individual advice to new projects with project visits from experienced practitioners
• advice on sources of funds and how to apply.
In addition, FCFCG may be contracted to undertake
feasibility studies and to work with local groups to
develop funding bids.
1. Number of visitors per year is based upon the following estimate:
350 000 allotment plots x 2 people average 700 000
65 city farms @ 50 000 visitors per year 3 250 000
75 school farms @ 1000 pupils 75 000
1000+ community gardens @ 100 people per year 1 000 000
Total estimate 5 025 000