The National Kitchen & Bath Association developed the Bathroom Planning Guidelines with Access Standards to provide designers with good planning practices that consider the needs of a range of users.
The code references for the Bathroom Planning Guidelines are based on the analysis of the 2012 International Residential Code (IRC) and the International Plumbing Code.
The code references for the Access Standards are based on ICC A117.1-2009 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities.
Be sure to check local, state, and national laws that apply to your design and follow those legal requirements.
BATHROOM PLANNiNG GUiDELiNE 1 Door/Entry
• The clear opening of a doorway should be at least 32 inches" (813 mm). This would require a minimum 2 feet, 10 inches (864 mm) door.
• If the existing structure precludes changing the opening then a minimum 2-foot, 0-inch (610 mm) door is allowable.
• State or local codes may apply.
• The clear opening of a doorway should be at least 34 inches (864 mm). This would require a minimum 3-foot, 0-inch (914 mm) door.
ICC A117.1-2009 Reference
• Clear openings of doorways with swinging doors shall be measured between the face of the door and stop, with the door open 90 degrees.
• When the depth of a passage exceeds 24 inches (610 mm), the minimum clear opening increases to 36 inches (914 mm).