c. 1720-80; MASTER 1749
As the son and grandson of Parisian ebenistes. Balthazar Lieutaud in his turn adopted this profession. Becoming a master in 1749, he settled in the rue de la Pelleterie in the lie de la Cite, the clock-makers’ quarter. He was one of the most renowned clock-case-makers of his day. supplying clock-makers such as F. Viger. Bouchet, J. Tavernier. J. Leroy. J. B. Dutertre. J. B. Baillon, N. Balthazard. F. Clement. H. Voisin. J. Gudin. Sylvestre, J. B. Samson. Lepaute. Robin, Bourdier, Lory. Jouanain. Baret. etc. During this period he produced long-case clocks in rococo style such as the example at Rockford Museum. Illinois, with mounts attributed to Duplessis. Between 1765 and 1770 he produced long-case clocks in Neo-classical style. The example in the Frick Collection  and that at Versailles made for the Marquis de Range are dated 1767 and bear the signature of the bronze-maker Caffieri the Elder (1714-74). Lieutaud collaborated with other bronziers such as Charles Grimpelle and Edme Roy. In 1772 he moved to the rue d’Enfer, also in the lie de la Cite, where he died in 1780. His widow maintained his workshop for another four years until 1784. One of the rare examples of Lieutaud’s production outside the field of clocks is a commode in the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge.
Arch. Nat. Min. Cent. LXXXIV/558: Inventory taken after the death of Lieutaud. 2 May 1780 Jean-Dominiquc Augarde: Ferdinand Berthoud, Musee de la Chaux de Fonds, 1984, pp. 72-74
/321 / Long-case clock in tuhpivood stamped B. Lieutaud and dated 1767, the moivment by Ferdinand Berthoud and the
mounts signed by Philippe Caffieri; it featured in the M. Feyl sale in June 1790. (Frick Collection. New York)