• Plan a seat within the shower that is 17 inches to 19 inches (432 mm to 483 mm) above the shower floor and 15 inches (381 mm) deep.
• The shower seat must not infringe on the minimum interior size of the shower (900 square inches) (22860 square mm).
• (IRC P2708.1)
• Plan a seat in the shower and/or bathtub to fit the parameters of the space and the needs of the user.
ICC A117.1-2009 Reference
• A removable in-tub seat should be at least 15 inches to 16 inches (381 mm to 406 mm) deep and capable of secure placement.
• A permanent tub seat should be at least 15 inches (381 mm) deep and positioned at the head end of the bathtub. The top of the seat should be between 17 inches and 19 inches (432 mm and 483 mm) above the bathroom floor.
• A shower seat should be 15 inches to 16 inches (381 mm to 406 mm) deep and 17 inches to 19 inches (432 mm to 483 mm) above the shower floor (to the top of the seat). The seat should extend from the back wall to a point within 3 inches (76 mm) of the entry. In a transfer shower, the seat should be on the wall opposite the control wall. In a roll-in shower, the seat should be on an end wall, extending from the control wall to the shower entry.
• (ICC 608, 610)
• The materials and installation of the shower and/or bathtub seat must support a minimum of 250 pounds (113 kg) of pressure.